Sunday, February 10, 2008

TimesCenter Talks: Breakthrough Stars

Jacky and I went to a talk at the TimesCenter this past Friday. It was a discussion tied into The New York Times Magazine's coverage of this year's breakout stars. The stars on hand were Juno's Ellen Page and Amy Adams, the world's worst mom from Ben Affleck's Gone Baby Gone. Jason Rietman, the director of Juno and also Thank You For Smoking was also there, I'm guessing The Times couldn't secure any of the other stars on their Breakout List, so Mr. Reitman graciously appeared, making for a trio of current Oscar nominees.

The discussion was best when the moderator wasn't speaking. I won't go into too many details, but let's just say it made me very confident in my ability to interview celebrities someday. Most of the questions began with the phrase, "So I read that . . ." Hey, do you're own reporting, they've already answered those questions once before.

Moving on . . . Ellen Page was adorable, Rietman hilarious and Amy Ryan just exudes talent and class. They showed small clips from Juno and Gone Baby Gone and I've got to admit that Page's performance does not warrant an Oscar nomination like Ryan's does. If you haven't seen Gone Baby Gone, oh my. Ryan disappears in her character of the mother of a kidnapped little girl and becomes all crass despicable trash, but in the most astounding and affecting way possible.

All in all the talk was entertaining. Now I can boast that I've shared space with three Oscar nominees at once. Thank you TimesCenter.

No comments: