Thursday, December 4, 2008

Guest Blogger: Alison on Uggs

Alison is (very) proud of her new purchase of Uggs. While I'm freezing in ballet flats, they seem like a good idea, but the rest of the time I berate her endlessly. She claims she is bringing the Uggs back for the non-mini skirt wearing population. She wanted a forum to state her case.

Ugg boots have become as standard a symbol of That Girl as the denim mini-skirt She is inevitably wearing. We've all seen Her, we've all been annoyed by Her. I am not That Girl. But I just bought Her shoes. I, my friends, am taking back Uggs. On behalf of all practical-minded girls with cold feet, I'm taking a stand. Why must I, whose worn Chucks and beloved flats are no match for sub-zero temperatures, suffer? No more, I say.

I first had the Ugg experience when I borrowed a pair of my sister's to wear to the KU/Nebraska football game. It was freezing. My face was raw, my hands were numb, but my feet... my feet were gloriously warm. And comfortable. I felt like rugged royalty, and yet, I couldn't silence my self-loathing. My head told me Uggs were an excellent idea: I get cold easily, I'm outside a lot, I've been looking for cold-weather shoes. My heart told me no: Uggs are gross. In the end, alas, you just can't mess with logic.

Buying Ugg boots is a lot like getting a tattoo: there's no coming back from it. At the store, my mom, knowing my internal struggle, asked me how I felt about my looming purchase. Happy? Sad? I said, in so many words, that I felt as if the part of my soul that housed my principles had been dealt a mighty, if not fatal, blow. She laughed. I scowled. And then I bought some boots.

I don't regret it. Uggs are O.K. They've served me well. Yes, the same Uggs so ubiquitous among the bleach-blond, S.U.V.-driving set. And I'm not only a convert; I'm here to convert you. You may be judging me, but I'm judging you for your inappropriate choice of footwear. So let's take back Uggs. Let's be cold no more. The shoe does not make the person, I'll have you know. It just makes her warmer.

3 comments:

Corinne said...

Alison, I cannot agree with you more.

I am almost as annoyed with That Girl as I am with the folks who shun Uggs just for the sake of shunning. They are high-quality, warm boots. You don't have to wear them with a mini skirt. You don't have to wear them outside your jeans. It is possible to be a humble Uggs wearer, and Alison, I believe that you well on your way to achieving this possibility.

Well done.

dn said...

I am reminded of my 2007 canoe trip: "...And here's our man Nathan, sporting a mighty horseshoe mustache. If you ask Nathan why he's chosen such facial hair, he will launch into an inspiring tale. "Who do you always see wearing this kind of mustache?" Nathan will ask. "Child molesters. Mass murderers. Perverts have stolen this mustache as their own, but I'm taking it back for the common man."

(http://tornadoslide.blogspot.com/2007/06/third-noel.html)

Torch Flashlight said...

hi you have a ugg boots and you should also need a linkdelight
Diving Flashlights