Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013 Movie Rundown

So this year I decided to count all the movies I saw that were released during the calendar year instead of just the ones I saw in the theater. The ones I saw in the theater are marked by a (T). To compare with last year's count, I saw 54 movies in the theater over last year's 44. However, using the new system I saw 60 2013 releases. I credit this record high number to my new job, which during the summer allowed me to leave early on Fridays and sometimes sneak in two movies before anyone else was even out of work for the night. All movies are listed in categories in alphabetical order. Stay tuned for my actual top 10, to be posted soon.

Perfect
12 Years a Slave (T)
Before Midnight (T)
Her (T)
Jurassic Park 3D (T)

Greatness
All is Lost (T)
American Hustle (T)
Captain Phillips (T)
The Dallas Buyers Club (T)
Drinking Buddies (T)
Enough Said (T)
Frances Ha
Gravity (T)
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (T)
Inside Llewyn Davis (T)
Iron Man 3 (T)
Nebraska (T)
This is the End (T)
The Wolf of Wall Street (T)
Warm Bodies (T)

Solid
About Time (T)
Blackfish
Blue Jasmine (T)
Blue is the Warmest Color (T)
Fruitvale Station (T)
The Heat (T)
In a World (T)
Kill Your Darlings (T)
The Kings of Summer (T)
Mud (T)
Philomena (T)
The Place Beyond the Pines (T)
Rush (T)
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (T)
Side Effects (T)
The Spectacular Now (T)
Star Trek: Into the Darkness (T)
The Way Way Back (T)
The World's End (T)

Silly but Fun
Anchorman: The Legend Continues (T)
Crystal Fairy & the Magical Cactus (T)
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (T)
Now You See Me (T)
Thor: The Dark World (T)
The To-Do List (T)
We're the Millers

Moments of Greatness but Should Have Been Better
August: Osage County (T)
The Butler (T)
The Bling Ring (T)
Don Jon (T)
The Great Gatsby (T)
Identity Thief
Man of Steel (T)
Saving Mr. Banks (T)
Spring Breakers
Stoker
Trance (T)

Terrible
Elysium (T)
The Counselor (T)
Oz: The Great and Powerful (T)

Just too Upsetting
The Act of Killing

4 comments:

Corinne said...

I would like you to start a new category for 'best movie companion' for when you do the top 10.

dn said...

Where was The Great Gatsby's moment of greatness? When they danced to that Fergie song?

Saw American Hustle today. Sorry, but I think I'm Team Alipete on this one.

Lindsey said...

I thought Leo was a fantastic Gatsby and the film despite its ridiculousness was beautiful to watch.

As for American Hustle, I was right there with you two after a first screening. But the more I thought and read about it in top 10 lists, the more I wanted to see it again, which I did on Tuesday. It's just so damn fun to watch and the acting is all wonderful. Even when it feels like Jennifer Lawrence is playing dress-up, I still enjoy her. It doesn't come together in a perfect Ocean's 11 way but the ride is so much fun I didn't really care.

Rebecca said...

Bring on the Top 10! This list is fantastic... had no idea half these movies even existed. Well done. Thanks for introducing me to the "Before" movies! Looking forward to more reviews in 2014!