Tuesday, December 29, 2015

2015 Movies: Trailers


Wow, this year was a particularly bad showing for the blog, but alas, here I am, attempting to right this wrong with my end-of-the-year roundups. I'll start off easy with trailers, as I still have a fair few movies to see before I call it for the year. And so we begin ...

Best Trailer
Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Funny to look back at last year's post and see I just had the teaser under Nerd Alert. What a difference a year makes. After that teaser, we had "Chewie, we're home" to recover from, and then came this. The official full trailer that officially made me revert to my fan girl core. This is the girl who saw Titanic an ungodly amount of times. Some of you may remember her, she is insane. She had been dormant since the end of Harry Potter. I wasn't certain anything could get her to come out full force (pun, definitely intended) again. But then this trailer hit, and I burst into tears. I love how the first shot makes you jump in your seat. I've been in theaters when this trailer played and people actually gasped with excitement at that first look at Rey scavenging through debris. Then it moves confidently from scene to scene, giving us glimpses of both old friends (Han, Darth Vader mask) and new (the great Oscar Issac/John Boyega bro down by an X-Wing). But it's really the music that tugs at the heart strings and the tear ducts. I especially love the moment the traditional music takes a turn around the shot of Rey firing her blaster that just gives you a hint that it's not all business as usual. This trailer didn't just awaken the force, it brought back the crazy, movie-obsessive within.


Also, never forget:


Most Intense
The Revenant

This one starts strong with the drums and by the time you see director Alejandro González Iñárritu's name, the echoes of Birdman's trailer mean you are in good hands. Then a bear is savagely attacking (NOT RAPING) Leo while bathed in oddly beautiful natural light and you are transfixed. By the time the rhythmic sound of exhaling takes over, you can't take your eyes off the images that are flashing before you. The trailer makes it clear that this is not going to be a pleasant movie-going experience. But if you're anything like me, you can't wait.



Most Comprehensive
Steve Jobs

I will never understand how this movie came and went so quickly. I remember watching this trailer and thinking the following things (in order):

1. Michael Fassbender looks nothing like Steve Jobs.
2. Nice of someone to throw Seth Rogen a Jonah Hill prestige picture-style bone.
3. Great orchestral music cue/quote mash up.
4. Man, Steve Jobs was an asshole.
5. OH MY GOD, IS THAT KATE WINSLET?!
6. Whoa! Long-haired Fassbender is attractive.
7. Ooooh, a slow clap montage, I'm getting into this.
8. Oh man, round-glasses, short-haired Fassbender is convincing me.
9. Will a Sorkin walk-and-talk ever fail to excite?
10. I'm sold. Opening weekend sold. Where were the rest of you?!



Hasn't Gotten Old Yet
Hail, Caesar!

Doesn't it seems like this movie should be out by now? But maybe it's just my love for the trailer making me impatient for the Coen brothers latest. That opening song is awesome; the parade of stars (Clooney! Scarjo! Tatum! Voldemort!) that goes along with it is too, but my favorite moment is an odd little cut toward the end of the trailer when Tilda Swinton's gossip columnist yells, "20 million readers want the truth Eddie! Eddie!" The cut after that second Eddie makes me so weirdly happy, and I can't explain why. It just feels very Cohen brothers, I guess, and I can't think of a higher compliment.



Obligatory Superhero Trailer
Suicide Squad

Taking a cue from last year's Age of Ultron trailer, this preview has the year's best use of a creepy version of a classic song. I liked how the trailer didn't give Will Smith all the airtime, and instead chose to go all in on Margot Robbie. But smart people knew this was just a diversion technique until Jared Leto's Joker shows up at the end. I was waiting for him the entire trailer, and I wasn't disappointed. I still have reservations that the movie won't be able to deliver, but for now, this is a tentatively good start.



Best OMG Moment
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

Man, these movies are very underrated. After seeing this trailer, I was inspired to go back and re-watch all of them and with the exception of Jon Woo, Woo-ing all over MI:2, this franchise has always been so fun to watch. The latest installment is no exception, and it sealed the deal first with the great combination of The Fugees and then the classic Mission Impossible theme music, and then finally, with the great Ethan Hunt airplane hold-on-for-dear-life stunt that closes the trailer, but smartly, opens the movie. Proving once again, that Tom Cruise will go to any length to entertain you. Are you not entertained?




Most Sexy/Fun
The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

Heavy on the wink-wink charm of old James Bond movies, Guy Ritchie's take on the swinging 60s was actually a lot of fun, which I think, despite Armie Hammer's ridiculous Russian accent, comes across well in this trailer. The funky music, beautiful costumes are all well and good, but it's the welcome sight of Alicia Vikander continuing her stellar year, Superman actually showing some personality and OH MY GOD IS THAT HUGH GRANT?! that makes this trailer a winner for me. Plus, the classic quick cuts of a Guy Ritchie movie make a gal wistful for the days when movies like Snatch were huge hits. This deserved more attention, in my humble opinion.



No comments: