Monday, January 21, 2008

Persepolis

I can't remember the last time I saw a hand-drawn animation film at the theater (the beginning of Enchanted does not count; yes I saw that movie, and no, I'm not ashamed). Persepolis is a rendering of a graphic novel that chronicles a young girl's coming of age during the Iranian revolution.

It's funny how you don't remember how effective animation can be as a medium. I'm sure the story would have been effective as live action but something about the simple black and white drawings made it much more affecting. The drawings were so cute you wanted to pinch the little girls face and yet the images were telling a not-so-cute story where the main character learns to deal with death, oppression, love and heartbreak.

In short, I really enjoyed it. I know so little of that period's history that it was like a history lesson that I wouldn't fall asleep to (ahem, Mr. Walker's AP history class). Inside the history lesson was a story of a girl who I could actually identify with. Even if she chooses to rock out to Iron Maiden while I prefer the dulcet tones of Mr. J. Timberlake.

1 comment:

Corinne said...

Real AP students don't sleep in class.

Also, how was I one of the last people to find out about this.

Shame.