Saturday, January 10, 2009

Best of 2008: Movies

I'm late to the list-making party but, inspired by Dan, I wanted to share my feelings on the year's entertainment offerings, if only to invite spirited debate. I decided to do it in installments. Movies, Music and Theater. First up, my favorite, movies!

By my count, I saw 33 movies in the theater this year. Pas mal, but there was still plenty I wanted to see that I didn't. (movies are in alphabetical order)

Perfection
Milk (Tears and lots of them)
Rachel Getting Married (I heart Anne Hathaway!)
Slumdog Millionaire (Possibly my favorite movie of the year)
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
(Whoa! Brad Pitt . . . I remember you.)
The Dark Knight (The only movie that when it was over, I instantly wanted to watch it again . . . and again . . . and again)
Wall-E
(Waaaalllleeeee! tee hee!)

Excellent
Burn After Reading (this has been moved up due to a second viewing)
Forgetting Sarah
Marshall (on second viewing, this moved up to excellent)
Frost/Nixon

Iron Man
Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist

Revolutionary Road
(Kate! Leo! Fighting!)

Solid
American Teen
Doubt
In Search of a Midnight Kiss
(A sweet little movie, see it)
Role Models

Pineapple Express (James Franco, even with that hair, anytime...)
Tropic Thunder (on second viewing, this moved down to solid, except RDJ deserves perfection)
Young @ Heart (Tee hee, old people!)

Decent
Baby Mama
Body of Lies

Kung Fu Panda

Dumb but Enjoyable
Definitely, Maybe (I liked this too much and it doesn't deserve it
Hancock
(Funniest first half, followed by a train wreck of a second)
Mamma Mia

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
(What the random?)
Pride and Glory (Oh hey Edward Norton)

Sex and the City
(See here)
The Incredible Hulk (Again, Edward Norton thank you)

Twlight
(My favorite part of this, is when Alison and I were both doubting Robert Pattinson's attractiveness, and then he showed up in a suit . . . sold.)
W


Eh
Changeling (Ok, Angelina, you can cry, what else can you do?)

Bad

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (Ugh, Shia LeBeouf, get the hell out of Hollywood)

Wanted to See, But Didn't, Be They Good Or Bad (hello, Netflix)
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
A Christmas Tale
Australia
Be Kind Rewind
Choke
Funny Games
Ghost Town
Gran Torino
Hamlet 2
Happy-Go-Lucky
In Bruges
I've Loved You So Long
Man On Wire
Marley and Me
Quantum of Solace
Religulous
Smart People
Synecdoche, New York
The Class
The Duchess
The Reader
The Visitor
The Wackness
The Wrestler
Vicky Christina Barcelona

Any I should skip? Disagree with picks above? Let's hear it.

4 comments:

dn said...

I saw Ghost Town this weekend. It's good if you like Ricky Gervais, which everyone does.

In Bruges will please you.

casey elizabeth said...

burn after reading was blech

dn said...

Casey is blech

LittleMissDanielle said...

Gran Torino brought tears to my eyes and was truly an amazing film. As for Smart People, you will enjoy this depending on your sense of humor. Your rating for Burn After Reading probably would have differed if your type of humor were different, and I didn't see Seven pounds on any of your lists and it was mind blowing-ly amazing.