Friday, January 16, 2009

Best of 2008: Theater/Shows

Broadway/Off-Broadway
Equus
Originally billed just as Harry Potter naked, live on stage, I actually really enjoyed the actual play. Daniel Radcliffe has definitely (ahem) matured as an actor and it was really exciting to see him in something so completely removed from Harry. Richard Griffiths was incredible and I liked the story way more than I thought I would. Money WELL spent.

The Seagull
Starring Peter Sarsgaard and Kristin Scott Thomas, this was another great chance to see amazing actors live on stage. An ensemble piece that deals with love, family, etc, it also starred MacKenzie Crook, better known as Gareth from the British Office or the pirate with the wooden eye in Pirates of the Caribbean. He was the one that most impressed me.

Shakespeare in the Park: Hamlet
My feelings on this have already been chronicled here.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
As have my feelings on this one.

Comedy
Asssscat (Thanks Dan)
I saw two performance of this Upright Citizens Brigade show, originally created by SNL's Amy Poehler. The first one was far funnier than the second one, mostly because Rob Riggle formerly of The Daily Show was in attendance and he could make me laugh just standing there. However, it did introduce me to my favorite new addition to SNL before he made it there: Bobby Moynihan

Stella
Although a big fan of Wet Hot American Summer I hadn't seen much Stella before this show. Until my good friend Dan had me watch some over Thanksgiving break, which I was thankful for. It was all solid, especially when Paul Rudd showed up to "stand in" for David Wain while he went to the bathroom. Hey, Paul . . . Shawnee Mission West!

Late Night With Conan O'Brien
This was a fun one, mostly because we thought it would be kind of lame since the guest was Martin Short, but he turned out to be very funny. One thing to complain was the people in charge of the line. We were directed to the wrong one and ended up way in the back. This upset me, not so much the rest of my party. Conan, however, was his usual charming and funny self. Don't go to L.A., they'll ruin you!

Other

Times Talks: Sarah Jessica Parker
See here.

Times Talks: Ellen Page, Amy Ryan and Jason Reitman
Ditto.

1 comment:

dn said...

It's ASSSSCAT! improv. "Asscats" is just gross.