Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Summer Movie Recap

Summer is officially over. During the past four months (I'm counting from the beginning of May) I saw 17 movies, some more than once. Overall, I'd say about five of them could count as memorable. Most are middling. However, middling is still worth discussing so now a rundown...

Thor
Who would have thought five months ago that Thor wouldn't be a complete mess? It's got its flaws for sure and I couldn't tell you at this point what the central conflict was about beyond Thor is banished to Earth, is a fish out of water and makes Natalie Portman swoon, but its sense of humor and dazzling visuals elevate it beyond the usual superhero nonsense. It is still nonsense, of course, but when Thor finishes his drink and promptly throws it on the ground it sure was fun.



Bridesmaids
Five viewings later I still laughed out loud, teared up and yearned for my best friends.


Midnight in Paris
Escapism the Woody Allen way. Allen takes my decade-long desire to move to Paris and personifies it on screen.


The Hangover Part II
Why was this made? It was better the first time, and even then, not the best comedy I've ever seen.

X Men: First Class
A duet between greats. I hadn't seen Michael Fassbender in anything before this

Super 8
Nostalgia for a time in movies that i didn't get to experience first hand. All the kids' performances in this are great. The movie is pure popcorn fun the way it ought to be for summer movies. Yes, the creature at the end is somewhat disappointing but who cares when it was so much fun to watch the lead up to its reveal?

Bad Teacher
Biggest wasted potential. The trailer made me laugh every time I watched it. I don't think I laughed out loud once during the actual movie.

Horrible Bosses
It's officially time for Charlie Day to be in more movies. This was fun enough, if not especially memorable for anything except Jennifer Aniston doing her best to play against type. it worked for me,  but now, a few months later, I can't seem to muster up any great enthusiasm for it. Worth a Netflix for sure.


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
Two hours of pure payoff is reason enough to understand why they split the last Harry Potter novel in half. Yes, anyone who hasn't been paying attention would be hopelessly lost watching this, but I judge them for trying to watch it without any other context. And true, I have some quibbles about things that were changed, etc, but in the end, it didn't really matter.  Everyone in the cast is in top form—especially Alan Rickman and Ralph Fiennes. It was exciting from beginning to end. and oh what an ending. So. Much. Crying.

Captain America: The First Avenger
The best word I can use is classic. Captain America felt old-fashioned in the best sense of the word. 


Friends With Benefits
Way better than the same movie from earlier this year, but still, the exact same movie from earlier this year. This time it takes place in New York, has leads with actual chemistry but still manages to indulge plenty of the cliches of the romantic comedies it claims to abhor.


Crazy, Stupid, Love
I loved everyone involved. The (mostly improvised) pillow talk between Stone and Gosling ranks up there with some of the best scenes in modern romantic comedies.  Their chemistry crackles throughout the movie but the more important chemistry is the surprising one between Gosling and Steve Carrell. Funny, charming and lovely.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes
While the trailer made my eyes roll once I started reading reviews, I was so confused. How could it possibly be good? The answer is Andy Serkis. His Ceasar is a fully formed character and he outpaces every "human" actor in the film. I actually felt myself get excited for a possible sequel. That's rare when something isn't named Harry Potter or Batman.

The Help
Don't overreact! Yes, the performance of Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer (and Jessica Chastain belongs in with them) are superb. Emma Stone is her usual husky-voiced, adorable self. But calm down people. It's just a regular, serviceable feel-good movie.


One Day
After reading too much about people harping on Anne Hathaway's accent and the TWIST ending, I still gave One Day a chance. The accent didn't bother me and the twist I could see coming but I still reluctantly enjoyed this in spite of my better judgment. It's no masterpiece but the chemistry between Hathaway and Jim Sturgess worked for me. I still swooned and cried like a girl. So mission accomplished, One Day.

Our Idiot Brother
It's the Paul Rudd is charming show! Watch Paul Rudd have long hair and a beard! Watch Paul Rudd's great chemistry with a dog named Willie Nelson! Watch Paul Rudd make silly mistakes and be almost instantly forgiven! It's perfectly fine. 

No comments: