Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Incredible Hulk

Oh man. Any casting of Edward Norton is enough to sell me. See, I am easy in some respects. So what very little interest I had in ANOTHER Hulk movie was increased twofold when I saw Mr. Norton in the trailer.

So Alison and I swallowed our pride and attended a screening on opening weekend. Much to our surprise, it was better than expected. Norton only look mildly bored, Liv Tyler does her pouty best and William Hurt has never been more commanding in front of a green screen pretending to look at big green monster.

A few things did bother me. Mostly the inconsistency of the Hulk's scale. He seems much larger in some scenes than others. Can't all the money they spend on special effects afford someone to check consistency? Apparently not. Also, there is a scene that takes place on the famous 125th St in Harlem, right outside the Apollo Theater. Now this location, is right down the street from my apartment. Plus, we were in a theater of flesh and blood New Yorkers, most of which definitely know this location. And yet, as the scene unfolds, it becomes painfully obvious that they didn't actually film in that location. There was way too much neon for that particular portion of the city. Upsetting. Again, don't movies like this have enough money to pump in a little change into the local economy by actually filming in Harlem. Then perhaps I could have snuck over and checked Edward out.

Overall, the movie was fun. Not approaching the brilliance of Iron Man, except SPOILER! when he makes an appearance toward the end. But honestly, I'd watch Edward Norton in anything. I think my love for Death to Smoochy proved that long ago.

No comments: