Sunday, June 29, 2008

Wall-E

Wow.

Pixar's new film is unlike anything I've ever seen. I'd read that it was really good but I was still skeptical. All the rave reviews don't lie, it is definitely one of the best movie I've seen this year.

It was almost operatic in its execution. I definitely noticed homages to Star Wars in the score, not to mention to R2-D2—sound designer Ben Burt who is the voice of Wall-E was also the voice of R2-D2. There was also the obligatory 2001: A Space Odyssey references, which now that I've seen the former, should make more sense but really, who the hell understands that movie?

I'm curious how kids see this as it is clearly a movie about adult issues. Obsession with consumerism and gratuitous consumption chief among them. I'm sure kids are charmed by the cute beeps and bops, probably as much if not more than I was, if that's possible, but it's only with age that I've been able to start to appreciate animation as an actual medium for storytelling and not just a gimmick to lure kids and their money-spending parents with them.

Wall-E, and definitely Persepolis have really opened my mind to the fact that animation isn't just for fun. Animation serves a purpose in the story, the way the art direction or camera angles do in a live action movie. This is why I'm getting more on board with recognizing animated films in the Best Picture category and not restricting them to just Best Animated. Wall-E is an almost perfect concoction of commerce and art. What was the last movie that won any major awards that can make that claim? Recognized films these days tend to err on the side of art, hence the public's lack of interest in watching any Oscar telecast. I'm not the first one to remark on this, clearly, but I think Wall-E may be just good enough to warrant a real renewed respect in animation as a legitimate art form as well as a medium for telling truly compelling stories.

No comments: