Saturday, June 28, 2008

Karaoke Cruise

For Carolyn's bug 24th birthday, she decided to whisk us away on a cruise around Manhattan isle. But not just any cruise, no, this cruise came with conditions. Karaoke!

So it was with much excitement that I arrived at South Street Seaport for my inaugural cruise around the harbor. I've been on the Staten Island Ferry and also the Liberty Island Ferry, but I'd never been on an aimless cruise and I was thrilled at the prospect of getting the water because often in Manhattan, you forget you are indeed on an island, surrounded by water.

The cruise was made extra cool by the happenstance of the appearance of four waterfalls that are currently falling in the East River as part of a huge public art project. So not only was I seeing my city, glowing in the night, I was passing under the Brooklyn bridge to the sight of this:

Amazing! It was so cool to see this up close where you could actually hear the power of the water falling. Or I could have if there hadn't been some serious karaoke action going on back on the boat. Highlights from the night's selections include "Zombie" by The Cranberries, "It's Raining Men" by I believe Geri Halliwell, chosen ironically by Carolyn's roommate Jessie and "I Want to Dance With Somebody" by Whitney Houston, chosen I'm pretty sure unironically by members of our small party but did, in fact, get everyone except Barry to dance.

Anyway, as the night progressed, some of us escaped to the roof of the boat, where we were treated to a fabulous view of lower Manhattan as well as Midtown West and the Statue of Liberty. Seeing the city from afar at night made me fall in love all over again. It's nice to step back and remember why I had longed to live here for so long and it still surreal to realize that I do indeed live in this amazing place. Considering my state of mind, especially that evening, it's comforting to know that I made the right decision in coming here. It's where I belong, and I love (almost) every second of being here. It's weird that something that something so mundane as a boat ride can make you fall in love once again.

No comments: