Sunday, December 12, 2010

Mind and Body turn against each other

December 12 – Body Integration This year, when did you feel the most integrated with your body? Did you have a moment where there wasn’t mind and body, but simply a cohesive YOU, alive and present?

Not quite sure what this means. But one instance came to mind, which is more about the after effects of this, but alas, here we go.

The first is when my mind and body were working as one so hard that my body paid a terrible price. I had a goal to try and swim at the gym. I enjoy being in a pool so I thought it would be a good way to motivate me to go to the gym. I've never really swam for exercise though. I'm still not convinced I know how to swim "properly." But I was ready to give it a go. I made what I thought was a manageable goal: 20 laps.

During the swim, it felt great. This was the point where mind and body integrated and I just moved without thinking. Completely free in the pool. That lasted until about lap 12. I made it about 15. I thought it was a solid effort but I was exhausted so threw in the towel. I slogged into the locker, proud for my first try.

Then the pain hit. So. Much. Pain. Like little knives every time I moved. I've never experienced pain so quickly after a workout. I shrugged it off as just me being out of shape and slowly walked home. I got in the shower and the pain was all consuming. I could barely raise my arms to shampoo my hair. I quickly retired to the couch where I stayed for the next 12 hours.

About two hours later, still in terrible pain, I began to feel ill. Was I hallucinating? Causing the pain to affect the rest of me? I was alternating between chills and being incredibly hot. I went to the bathroom, thinking I was going to be sick. When I realized nothing was coming, I waddled back to the couch to die—wracking my brain on what could have caused this. It couldn't just be a workout. Then I looked at my Coke and realized, uh, you have had no water today. You are dehydrated you idiot.

Case solved.

No comments: